Pages

Monday, May 30, 2011

Fresh Salsa in the Vitamix Blender




This is a shorter, edited version of the same recipe if you just want highlights.

I made some salsa in the Vitamix blender because I had some friends coming over to watch Game of Thrones. I started with the recipe for California Salsa that was in the Vitamix Whole Food Recipes book. I modified it to suit my taste. I prefer lime juice and Serrano peppers (when available). I also enjoy my salsa a little on the hot side, so I'm sure to add some of the pepper seeds to the salsa.

INGREDIENTS
6 tomatoes, quartered
1 small onion, halved
1/4 cup of cilantro leaves
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1 jalapeno or Serrano pepper with some seeds (to taste)
Salt to taste

OPTIONAL: Throw in a husked, quartered tomatillo in step 1 and add fewer tomatoes at that time.

  1. Place onion, cilantro leaves, lime juice, and 1-2 tomatoes in the blender. Secure the lid. 
  2. Select variable 1. 
  3. Turn the machine on and quickly increase to variable 5. 
  4. Blend about 20 seconds. Use tamper as needed. 
  5. Reduce speed to variable 3 and add the remaining tomatoes. Use tamper as needed.
  6. Blend approximately 10 seconds or until tomatoes are chopped but still chunky. 
  7. Refrigerate to let flavors blend. 
TIPS
  • If you like mild salsa, do not use seeds.
  • Keep extra tomatoes on hand in case you make the salsa too hot. They can be used to water the salsa down. 
  • Roma tomatoes with seeds removed seem to make the salsa less foamy. 
  • If you salsa is foamy, just chill for an hour or so before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment